Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

john boris
Good Day,
My department is looking to replace our current Ticket/asset management system. I have been using RT on a small basis to handle my own Support requests and used the Asset Management add on (pre 4.4). Our current system used to have an agent that would populate the data set for us but lacked some of the info we needed. We were at the mercy of the company to add features.

I am hoping we can roll our own Powershell script to gather the info we need and with some other tweaks we can roll our own.My question to the list is if anyone is using RT 4.4 with the Asset Management feature and would like to share their experience with it. I am putting together the proposal to use RT for this replacement. As a ticket system I think it is an easy sell but the Asset portion is my tough sell.

Anyone who wants to reply can reply off list unless it you feel it is relevant to stay on the list. I will post what happens when completed (albeit that might not be for a month or so).

TIA

--
John J. Boris, Sr.

---------
RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

chrisis
We use the Asset feature, having migrated to it from SYSAID.

I assume your powershell script will be used to build a CSV of all your assets. You'll be able to import this CSV directly into Assets in RT. There is a plugin to make this super easy: http://search.cpan.org/~bps/RT-Extension-Assets-Import-CSV-2.1/lib/RT/Extension/Assets/Import/CSV.pm

You will obviously need to do some planning and configuration up front to ensure your specific Asset database has the Custom Fields you need, and you'll want to configure your assets catalog lifecycle(s) just like you would have configured your RT queue lifecycles.

The only tricky thing we are facing at the moment is adding an asset to a ticket. By default it is easy adding a ticket to an asset (basically: open the asset, click "Create Linked Ticket" from Actions) but there isn't a default set up for linking an asset to an existing ticket. Well, there is, but the searchable text entry requires you to know the asset number in order to add it, which isn't too useful. But imo this is a solveable problem, I'll post when I have figured it out.

Other than that do you have any specific questions about Assets in RT?

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

Joop
On 29-11-2016 20:51, john boris wrote:

> Good Day,
> My department is looking to replace our current Ticket/asset
> management system. I have been using RT on a small basis to handle my
> own Support requests and used the Asset Management add on (pre 4.4).
> Our current system used to have an agent that would populate the data
> set for us but lacked some of the info we needed. We were at the mercy
> of the company to add features.
>
> I am hoping we can roll our own Powershell script to gather the info
> we need and with some other tweaks we can roll our own.My question to
> the list is if anyone is using RT 4.4 with the Asset Management
> feature and would like to share their experience with it. I am putting
> together the proposal to use RT for this replacement. As a ticket
> system I think it is an easy sell but the Asset portion is my tough sell.
>
> Anyone who wants to reply can reply off list unless it you feel it is
> relevant to stay on the list. I will post what happens when completed
> (albeit that might not be for a month or so).

I'm/We're using RT-4.4 with Assets which is migrated from the 3trd party
Assets extension and use it quite extensively. As mentioned in the other
reply linking assets from tickets is more tricky than the other way
around. We haven't had time to enhance that.

Joop

---------
RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

john boris
Thanks for the quick response.

I am basically seeking that the asset feature is worth the move to RT. As much as I know about RT I think we (our department) can roll our own automated scripts to get info and keep it updated.The one we use now can't get warranty information and I am hoping I can get Dell to cooperate and allow us to grab the warranty info directly using the service tag number. Then we could update the fields when we do our initial loads. Right ow we have not been using the system we have correctly as it is not easy. It is School Dude and they just changed the way they gather asset info which made their product unusable for us. They said we are two big. (17 High Schools and Central Office)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:50 PM, chrisis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That does help me.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Joop <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29-11-2016 20:51, john boris wrote:
> Good Day,
> My department is looking to replace our current Ticket/asset
> management system. I have been using RT on a small basis to handle my
> own Support requests and used the Asset Management add on (pre 4.4).
> Our current system used to have an agent that would populate the data
> set for us but lacked some of the info we needed. We were at the mercy
> of the company to add features.
>
> I am hoping we can roll our own Powershell script to gather the info
> we need and with some other tweaks we can roll our own.My question to
> the list is if anyone is using RT 4.4 with the Asset Management
> feature and would like to share their experience with it. I am putting
> together the proposal to use RT for this replacement. As a ticket
> system I think it is an easy sell but the Asset portion is my tough sell.
>
> Anyone who wants to reply can reply off list unless it you feel it is
> relevant to stay on the list. I will post what happens when completed
> (albeit that might not be for a month or so).

I'm/We're using RT-4.4 with Assets which is migrated from the 3trd party
Assets extension and use it quite extensively. As mentioned in the other
reply linking assets from tickets is more tricky than the other way
around. We haven't had time to enhance that.

Joop

---------
RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

--
John J. Boris, Sr.

---------
RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

Chris Manly

I’ve been starting to work with Assets.  It’s not as rich or fully-baked as the ticketing side of things, but it gets the job done for me.  You’ll definitely want 4.4.1, because there’s a bug in 4.4.0 where you can’t search for assets associated with a person and actually find them.

I’ve done .csv loads of assets.  If you’ve got a custom field that has a unique key (like an asset tag #) it works well to avoid creating duplicates.  If you lack that… well, let’s just say I had a lot of cleanup to do.

--

Christopher Manly

Coordinator, Library Systems

Cornell University Library Information Technologies

607-255-3344

RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

john boris
Chris,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am leaning toward using the service tag (we are a 90% Dell Shop) as an index or searchable field since it will be unique.  I understand about duplicates. What we have now is not workable

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Chris Manly <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve been starting to work with Assets.  It’s not as rich or fully-baked as the ticketing side of things, but it gets the job done for me.  You’ll definitely want 4.4.1, because there’s a bug in 4.4.0 where you can’t search for assets associated with a person and actually find them.

I’ve done .csv loads of assets.  If you’ve got a custom field that has a unique key (like an asset tag #) it works well to avoid creating duplicates.  If you lack that… well, let’s just say I had a lot of cleanup to do.

--

Christopher Manly

Coordinator, Library Systems

Cornell University Library Information Technologies

RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

Darin Perusich-3
Sadly I'm no longer using RT, however at my previous employer my team
was using to for IT Support, numerous software development project,
and asset management. I was using the Puppet configuration management
system and integrated it with Assets-Import-CSV to automate adding and
updating of computers as they were provisioned in the environment.
This allowed for further integration with RT::Extension::Nagios to
associate system issues with your assets, which provides a rich
history of issues for systems.

IMO it's a natural fit if you're already using RT for tracking issues
and helpdesk requests, it allows you to keep all that information in a
single repository.
--
Later,
Darin

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 2:51 PM, john boris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good Day,
> My department is looking to replace our current Ticket/asset management
> system. I have been using RT on a small basis to handle my own Support
> requests and used the Asset Management add on (pre 4.4). Our current system
> used to have an agent that would populate the data set for us but lacked
> some of the info we needed. We were at the mercy of the company to add
> features.
>
> I am hoping we can roll our own Powershell script to gather the info we need
> and with some other tweaks we can roll our own.My question to the list is if
> anyone is using RT 4.4 with the Asset Management feature and would like to
> share their experience with it. I am putting together the proposal to use RT
> for this replacement. As a ticket system I think it is an easy sell but the
> Asset portion is my tough sell.
>
> Anyone who wants to reply can reply off list unless it you feel it is
> relevant to stay on the list. I will post what happens when completed
> (albeit that might not be for a month or so).
>
> TIA
>
> --
> John J. Boris, Sr.
>

> ---------
> RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day!
> https://bestpractical.com/training
> * Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017
---------
RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

john boris
Darin
Thank you. That helps back up what I have been thinking rt could do

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:36 PM Darin Perusich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sadly I'm no longer using RT, however at my previous employer my team
was using to for IT Support, numerous software development project,
and asset management. I was using the Puppet configuration management
system and integrated it with Assets-Import-CSV to automate adding and
updating of computers as they were provisioned in the environment.
This allowed for further integration with RT::Extension::Nagios to
associate system issues with your assets, which provides a rich
history of issues for systems.

IMO it's a natural fit if you're already using RT for tracking issues
and helpdesk requests, it allows you to keep all that information in a
single repository.
--
Later,
Darin

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 2:51 PM, john boris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good Day,
> My department is looking to replace our current Ticket/asset management
> system. I have been using RT on a small basis to handle my own Support
> requests and used the Asset Management add on (pre 4.4). Our current system
> used to have an agent that would populate the data set for us but lacked
> some of the info we needed. We were at the mercy of the company to add
> features.
>
> I am hoping we can roll our own Powershell script to gather the info we need
> and with some other tweaks we can roll our own.My question to the list is if
> anyone is using RT 4.4 with the Asset Management feature and would like to
> share their experience with it. I am putting together the proposal to use RT
> for this replacement. As a ticket system I think it is an easy sell but the
> Asset portion is my tough sell.
>
> Anyone who wants to reply can reply off list unless it you feel it is
> relevant to stay on the list. I will post what happens when completed
> (albeit that might not be for a month or so).
>
> TIA
>
> --
> John J. Boris, Sr.
>

> ---------
> RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day!
> https://bestpractical.com/training
> * Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

---------
RT 4.4 and RTIR training sessions, and a new workshop day! https://bestpractical.com/training
* Los Angeles - January 9-11 2017

Re: Looking for users of RT 4.4 that use the Asset feature

Aaron McCormack-2
That is how I do it too, via a bash script collecting details and uploading a CSV when systems boot, then having a cron job import them to RT via the RT-Extension-Assets-Import-CSV extension.

However, I am on 4.2 using the Best Practical Assets Extension, not 4.4 with native assets.

Well, there is,
but the searchable text entry requires you to know the asset number in order
to add it, which isn't too useful. But imo this is a solveable problem, I'll
post when I have figured it out.

To search for adding assets (not sure if it works on 4.4), I use a hack from http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2014-June/083691.html However, I encourage my team to go to the asset first and create a linked ticket from there as best practice.

Aaron

On Nov 29, 2016, at 10:50 AM, chrisis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Emmanuel Lacour

We have a customer using it: as of now 9522 assets (computers, screen,
...) are in the database. Imported from an old system (home made script
pulling from the Oracle database, using RT API) and manual csv import
when needed (using custom script). 568 privileged users, 6128
unprivileged users, 161367 tickets.

Works fine, with as usual small customisation (callbacks, patches and
scrips).

As others already told, linking assets to existing ticket is not easy,
but we are looking at producting a patch to autocomplete on assets for
example.

Also, would be nice to make a gateway to get assets from fusion
inventory ...

We also have also another small RT instance using Assets for hardware
and contracts (hardware linked to groups that are customers, contracts
linked to hrdwares).

--
Easter-eggs                              Spécialiste GNU/Linux
44-46 rue de l'Ouest  -  75014 Paris  -  France -  Métro Gaité

---------