Custom Field base on another Custom Field

Custom Field base on another Custom Field

tcamish
Afternoon All,

I know this isnt a question as such but I just came across a weird thing in RT3 with Custom Fields and then managed to solve it myself, so thought i'd post it on here in case anyone else gets the same problem.

Example (fake entries): A custom field called "Top Level" and one called "Category".

Top Level options:
Active Directory
Printers
Hardware

Category options
Password reset
Wont Print
Installation
New User
Needs Drivers
Profile Issue
New Server
Permissions

I then set the "categories are based on" option in the Category custom field to the "Top Level" custom field and set the category column, so the custom field page looked like below:

Then if, for example, I chose "Active Directory" from the Top Level field, the Category would show like below when i go to select it:

Active Directory
     Password Reset
Active Directory
     New User
Active Directory
     Profile Issue
Active Directory
     Permissions

Obviously very irritating.

The way i got round this was to go into the config of the Category custom field, and the categories that come under Active Directory i set the Sort Order column to 1, for those under Printers i set to 2, and those under Hardware i set to 3. This made the custom field display as below:

Active Directory
     Password Reset
     New User
     Profile Issue
     Permissions

So, when creating a custom field and basing it on another one, unless you want it to display in a really stupid way, setting the options under each category to the same sort order fixes it.

Hope this helps.

Re: Custom Field base on another Custom Field

Kevin Falcone-2
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 05:04:50AM -0700, tcamish wrote:
> I know this isnt a question as such but I just came across a weird thing in
> RT3 with Custom Fields and then managed to solve it myself, so thought i'd
> post it on here in case anyone else gets the same problem.

Just a reminder that no version of RT 3 is currently supported
http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/release-policy.html

> So, when creating a custom field and basing it on another one, unless you
> want it to display in a really stupid way, setting the options under each
> category to the same sort order fixes it.

Looks like a bug already exists about this with more information.
http://issues.bestpractical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=16337

-kevin

--
RT Training - Dallas May 20-21